MALVERN Pa., (October 24, 2022) — America’s addiction and overdose epidemic is reaching record levels, with stimulants becoming increasingly prevalent throughout the country. Organized by HMP Global, the omnichannel leader in healthcare events and education, the 2022 Cocaine, Meth & Stimulant Summit will offer front-line healthcare and law enforcement professionals fighting this crisis the strategies and best practices needed to address stimulant misuse in their communities.
The Summit will be held virtually November 2-4, providing top quality training and education for clinical, law enforcement, and public health professionals. Now in its fifth year, the 2022 agenda features leading experts at the national, state, and local levels working to address the surge in illicit drug use and addiction in the United States.
“The opioid epidemic made headlines while the stimulant crisis loomed closely behind,” said Doug Edwards, Senior Vice President at HMP Global and Director of the Psychiatry & Behavioral Health Learning Network. “It is estimated that 5 million Americans misuse prescription stimulants, and more than 2 million American teens and adults reported past-year methamphetamine use. Compounding this issue, counterfeit prescription pills are being laced with illicit drugs in alarming amounts. It is urgent that we work together to find solutions. We cannot afford to lose more ground, for more lives to be lost.”
The Summit opening session features a documentary style video about the border community of Yuma, Ariz., “Perspectives on the Stimulant Crisis and the Impact on One Community.” Considerable amounts of fentanyl and other illicit substances come into the U.S. through its southern border. This documentary shows the devastating impact for families, schools, and communities, and how stakeholders throughout Yuma County are working together and making progress in addressing this crisis.
Other key presentations include:
- The National Stimulant Use Landscape: Reviewing Data and Trends
- Stimulant Use Disorder Response and Treatments — Insight from the National Institute on Drug Abuse
- At the Intersection of Methamphetamine and Fentanyl: Trends in Use Patterns, Morbidity and Mortality in the U.S. Stimulant/Opioid Epidemic
- Federal Government Voices — Policy Updates
- Addressing Methamphetamine as an Emerging Threat: Overview of Federal Response Plan
- Customizing Stimulant Use Responses Based on Community Unique Needs and Location
- Takeaway Messages on the Stimulant Crisis from State Government Officials
Led by multi-disciplinary experts from across the nation, the Summit provides an extensive educational experience for professionals on the front lines of this rising epidemic. Featured speakers include:
- Rahul Gupta, MD, Director, Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Robert Califf, MD, Commissioner, Food and Drugs Administration
- Nora Volkow, MD, Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Debra Houry, MD, Acting Principal Deputy Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Director, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control
- Jennifer Smith, Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs
- John Eadie, MPA, Coordinator, Public Health and Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Project, National Emerging Threats Initiative, A National HIDTA Initiative
- Daniel Ciccarone, MD, Professor of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
The Cocaine, Meth & Stimulant Summit is designed and accredited for professionals in the fields of addiction, behavioral, and mental health, and law enforcement and public safety. It brings together law enforcement and treatment providers to discuss strategies to prevent stimulant misuse, provide access to treatment, and ensure that stimulants are part of larger social discussions about addressing drug use.
The Summit is a sister event to the Rx and Illicit Drug Summit, the largest national collaboration of professionals from local, state, and federal agencies, business, academia, treatment providers, and allied communities impacted by prescription drug misuse and heroin use. Rx Summit is the leading event for decision-makers and allied professionals working to address this public health emergency.
For more information, sponsorship opportunities, or to register for the Cocaine, Meth & Stimulant Summit, visit stimulantsummit.com.
ABOUT HMP GLOBAL
HMP Global is the force behind Healthcare Made Practical — and is an omnichannel leader in healthcare content, events, and education, with a mission to improve patient care. The company produces accredited medical education events — in person and online via its proprietary VRTX virtual platform — and clinically relevant, evidence-based content for the global healthcare community across a range of therapeutic areas. Its brands include the HMP Global Learning Network, healthcare's most comprehensive source for news and information; Psych Congress, the largest independent mental health meeting in the U.S.; the Evolution of Psychotherapy, the world’s largest independent educational event for mental health professionals; the Leipzig Interventional Course (LINC), the leading, global gathering for interdisciplinary cardiovascular specialists; EMS World Expo, North America's largest EMT and paramedic event; and the Symposium on Advanced Wound Care (SAWC), the largest wound care meeting in the world. For more information, visit hmpglobal.com.